Did You Know??
Every 2 seconds someone needs Blood & there is no substitute for Human Blood. While many youth & volunteers are encouraged to donate blood to save the lives, but the recent research by “NACO” has revealed the shocking fact that the same life-saving component is being thrown to garbage in few cities of India.
Isn’t these facts are Shocking!!
To make blood availability better & easy many social organizations, volunteers support & organized Blood donation drives collect the blood & finally they are sent to blood banks for different types of testing to make it “safe blood” prior transfusion & for long-term storage.
But the distressing fact about blood wastage in blood banks & hospitals was revealed by NACO (National Aids Control Organisation) in response to an RTI query by Chetan Kothari, it has been revealed that in India huge amount of blood is wasted & discarded by blood bank & hospitals.
Facts behind the wastage of Blood include,
- Mismanagement in blood banks and hospitals.
- The absence of robust blood sharing network & lack of coordination between hospitals & blood banks.
- The absence of better storage facility for a larger quantity of Blood.
- Collection of more blood than they can handle.
- Lack of temperature controlled setups to preserve the blood.
- And these reasons enforce the government to conduct a regular audit of blood banks to minimize the blood wastage.
- To minimize the wasting of blood there should be a device or mechanism to interconnect all the blood banks in hospitals across the state, districts where availability of blood units of various groups is updated on regular basis, which helps the needy people can contact the respective blood bank and blood & that can be used before its expiry. Other than this, you can donate blood once in 3 months on regular basis & can also register in some private Blood donors network such as VMEDO , Friends to Support, Rotary Blood banks, Red Cross etc. where emergencies & blood requirements are notified on day to day requirements & helps in avoiding the wastage of blood by keeping it for so many days.In these blood donors network, volunteers are requested to register along with their respective blood group & address. Once the emergencies rise, the guardians can request for Blood using the mobile app, & can also request using respective helpline numbers say for VMEDO it is 08067335555.Bring more volunteers to these Blood donors network & donate Blood for day to day emergencies & join hands in using precious blood before its expiry.