“It keeps happening to me, I lose my footing too many times and slip. Spraining my legs too many times. I have always had a first aid kit handy, just in case I sprain myself up again “
A lot of us have this habit of picking up sprains, either by buckling our ankles or by lifting something heavy causing backaches or spraining our arms.
Sprains are painful affairs, sometimes disrupting the entire workflow for many days. It is best to help people with a first aid, as and when they do have a sprain.
First aid for these type of sprains is normally to be performed to sports athletes, footballers, weightlifters and anyone who performs other strenuous physical exercises and pulls their muscles too taut ending up with sprains.
But sprains can happen to anyone and at times when you least expect them to,
Maybe high heels, wrong-footing or too much weight being lifted – normal everyday things.
Also Read: Importance of First Aid
If in case you do find yourself/someone else with a sprain, the best way to tackle it is :
- Get the person to rest at one place without too much movement.
- Get some ice cubes to cool the affected area, the affected area normally will have inflammation and will be glowing red. The Ice is meant to suppress the inflammation and to dull the pain.
- Please make sure that the ice is not kept on for too long as it can numb the area and cause loss of blood circulation to the same.
- The pain shall subside in a few days time, it is best to consult a doctor if you are unable to bear the weight of your leg or move freely even after some time.
- It is recommended that the area of the sprain be wrapped in a crepe bandage tied not too tight as to restrict movement of blood but loose enough to move the affected area.
It is also recommended to consult a doctor if the sprain has recurred in a place that had been previously injured or affected with a sprain or accident, operated area so as to rule out subsequent risks that normally pop up later in life. It is in your best interest to consult a doctor in case there are many sprains occurring frequently since it can lead to long-term effects if they are not looked into. This is especially true for athletes since the sprains are an almost everyday occurrence.
For gym trainers, physical education masters at school, these first aid tips come in really handy to help the person affected by the sprain some medical treatment that can prevent the further exaggeration of injury and harm. VMEDO provides certified first aid training that also provides information on the handling of first aid for dog bites, snake bites, bleeding and much more in a fun, interactive and engaging format of demos, videos, and hands-on work too.
VMEDO also has an application that is available on the google play store that can also provide the information of these first aid steps in times of need. This application is your one-stop shop for most of the things associated with healthcare with health tips, BMI index calculators, calorie counters, drinking water reminders, pedometer to measure the number of steps and most of all to also book medical transportation services in both emergency and non-emergency conditions.
If you are looking for first aid, CPR, AED, and Basic Life Support training program Click here and Register.