Almost every Indian household uses some form of milk products or the other. Whether it is milk, coffee, tea or curd or the ever friendly buttermilk. We have ingrained the use of these milk products in our life. We see that the use of buttermilk has a high health quotient that makes it an amazing drink to have.
In most of our houses, our meals are incomplete without the use of curd or buttermilk. Although most of us tend to use curd, the buttermilk has a lot more to offer than the thick curd that we consume each day.
How to prepare buttermilk?
- Take thick curd and mix it water and then blend it until it becomes one solution.
- Add a little bit of salt to the mixture.
- Depending on your comfort levels, A pinch of pepper, coriander leaves and other powders can be added to make the drink a little more tasty but without these additions; the same can be consumed bland too.
What are the health benefits of buttermilk?
Buttermilk is neither butter nor milk but is a tasty treat for the entire body since it makes for a complete food that can be consumed after lunch, early in the morning on an empty stomach or later at night after a meal. Buttermilk is the champion of health drinks since:
- Buttermilk has a very high water content in it. Almost 90% of the buttermilk is water and this contains a lot of vitamins and minerals that are water soluble in nature. The high water content means that this drink is the ideal way to maintain the balance of water in the body since it provides water as well as something more to it.
- Presence of friendly bacteria that aid the gut process and digest food better make it an ideal drink to hasten the process of digestion. The same properties enable the buttermilk to act as the perfect antidote for both extremes of stomach problems including diarrhea/ indigestion and constipation.
- The presence of macro and micro-nutrients in the buttermilk can ensure faster absorption of these components into the body. Thus buttermilk is an ideal partner for people suffering from indigestion. It can be consumed without any more side effects.
- Buttermilk also has properties that can reduce the body temperature with its high water content.
- Buttermilk can be the ideal supplement after a nice workout since it can give a lot of electrolytes.
Also Read: Healthy Benefits of Beer
Buttermilk is the best health drink to consume since it is easily accessible to the masses. It is a complete drink with vitamins, minerals, micronutrients and macronutrients, electrolytes; so go ahead and include this in your diet, workout regime and to aid in the treatment of stomach bugs.