One of the most important things to learn in life is the subtle yet essential art of giving first aid. First aid for various types of medical conditions are to be known, one never knows when it can come in handy, especially first aid for fractures. It is very common today for us to take a fall and our bones are fragile due either due to lack of a healthy diet or of old age or at times due to an accident, one can get injured and get a fractured or broken bone. So how does one know that there is has been a fracture?
- If the person has taken a fall and the injured place is swelled up, has gone blue and the person is not able to move the limb or the place of injury. Fracture is normally accompanied by a severe pain in the affected area.
- If the bone is protruding away and out of the skin and is visible outside its normal place, it is surely a case of a broken bone. It is advised to seek medical attention immediately to ensure that there are no further problems such as internal bleeding and also to get the broken bone fixed.
What is the first aid steps to be taken in case of a fracture?
- If the person is not able to move his injured area, please do not move them by yourself unless it is doing more harm to the person with a further chance of injury possible.
- If the fracture is in the areas of the limbs, please immobilize the fractured limb/ arm with a splint or a sling to avoid further injuries.
- If there is bleeding, please ensure that you clean the area with a soft pad of cloth along with water and let the person relax. Make sure the area of the bleeding is elevated to prevent more bleeding.
- If there is no bleeding but swelling and pain, apply a cold pack or ice for 10 minutes to reduce the pain and swelling.
- If the person is in shock, cover their body/ affected area with a blanket to keep them warm.
- If the person is unconscious and not moving, please perform CPR ( Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation)
- Call an ambulance or get the person to a hospital immediately.
Call the helpline number of VMEDO to get access to medical emergency transportation and avail an ambulance or at the touch of a button via the VMEDO app to avail the same services. VMEDO’s mission to make healthcare accessible to more and more people has led them to develop an app that also provides first aid tips to a variety of medical conditions including first aid for snake bites, dog bites and first aid for bleeding and so on… It is a great feeling is it not of having helping people in their most distressing times. VMEDO also conducts first aid training to everyone who wants to enable themselves and also others with the knowledge of first aid that is going to come in handy at any time during their lifetime and end up saving their own life or the life of someone else. Join the first aid training program today and enable yourself.
Download the VMEDO app and get access to emergency medical transportation, health calculators, health tips and much more.