If you’re looking to transport a dead body from one place to another place by air call VMEDO Ambulance at +91 9343180000 for all your queries and support.
People know very little about dead body transportation and the procedure to follow to transport a dead body from one city to other, here is our sincere effort to explain the complete steps to transport dead body by air in India.
When your loved one dies, the whole world around you stops. The mental and emotional agony that death brings to the deceased’s family members is inexplicable. The going gets tougher if the person has died in another country or state and you’re unaware of the procedure to bring them back to their final resting place. people have to transport a dead body or Human remains to their city to perform Last rights.
One can choose to transport a dead body from one city to another city by air/plane or by road on Mortuary ambulance. Transporting a body by Mortuary ambulance is much easier and doesn’t need any documentation apart from Death certificate issued by Doctor or Hospital. However transporting Dead body by Road for a very long distance or to other countries is not feasible, that is when you need to think about transporting a dead body or Human remain on the flight.
Transporting human remains over a plane via air cargo is not that easy, has a lot of formalities and strict documentation requirements. You need to be aware of the complete procedure and the documentation required, If you are not in a stage to take up the complete responsibility and looking for a professionals to help you throughout this process Then you can call VMEDO: +91- 9343180000 for More information or to help you ship dead body or Human remains to other cities in India or to other countries from India. This article covers the detailed procedure and documentation to transport a dead body on flight/air cargo in India.
VMEDO is a Medical transportation provider in India, with ambulance network across India, 24*7 support team and expert team on-board, we have helped thousands of people during domestic and International Corpse transportation. One can Book any type of ambulance service across India through VMEDO app, VMEDO Helpline: 9343180000 or through VMEDO.COM
Transporting dead body or Human remains inside India and From India to other cities have similar procedure; however, there are few changes in the documentation requirements, let see the procedure in detail one after the other.
How to transport the dead body by plane within Indian cities?
This is also known as Domestic dead body transportation or Domestic dead body repatriation. Various Metro cities like Bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Hyderabad and Chennai, attract a lot of people from neighbour cities and from other states with job opportunities. They stay in a different city for a very long time, in case of death they have to be transferred to their home. The family staying at home town need to get their loved one back home, in such a situation here are the steps one need to follow.
Step 1: Get Hospital clearance, get death certificate issued
- You need to get a Death certificate issued from the hospital or the concerned doctor stating the cause of death. Here is the death certificate format for your reference
- Please ensure that the issued death certificate have fallowing details in it Name, age, gender, date of death, Reason for death, Address of diseased, Identification mark if any, Doctor name, Doctor signature with a seal, Doctor Registration ID or medical License number
- Cross-check if all the details are correct and are matching to any ID card of the diseased person
- If the death certificate is issued in the local language, request the doctor for the English version of the same. Just to avoid possible resistance from air cargo authorities at source or destination point. We have experienced a few situations where this has happened, could lead to delay in airport clearance.
- Take a few photocopies of the death certificate, at least 10 numbers.
- In the case of unnatural death, you might need to get post mortem. You need to collect post mortem certificate, FIR copy from the police department
- Please read the reason of death properly, you need to know it before you book air cargo. Because few of the air cargos might not allow human remains of a person who may have died of yellow fever, plague, anthrax or such other diseases.
Step 2: Arrange for mortuary
- Once the death certificate is issued, check for air cargo availability from your nearest airport to the destination airport. In case if you have to wait for a long time, it’s better if you can book a mortuary for the body to keep it away from decomposition.
- you can demand to freeze at the hospital mortuary
- If the particular hospital doesn’t have a mortuary facility you can book nearest private or government mortuary.
- Book a Mortuary ambulance with freezer box fitted to transport a dead body from hospital to the mortuary centre.
Step 3: Get Police NOC from the local police station
- You need to get the police clearance or NOC from police from the nearest police jurisdiction.
- Police will issue a NOC understanding of the circumstances.
Step 4: Get Embalming service and Embalming certificate issued
- One of the important documentation for transporting human remains on air is Embalming certificate. Basically, Body needs to undergo Embalming to avoid decomposition for a long time.
- Various private, government hospitals and private Embalming service providers offer Embalming service and issue Embalming Certificate. Find the nearest embalming centre and get embalming certificate signed and sealed by the concerned authorities or Embalming doctor.
- You should also arrange a coffin box and coffin box certificate.
Step 5: Book coffin Box and get Coffin box certificate
- Once the Embalming centre handover the body along with Embalming certificate, you need to book Coffin box from the nearest funeral undertakers.
- Make sure you are getting coffin box issued from a professional undertaker and the coffin box is not used earlier. Request your undertaker for coffin box certificate for air cargo clearance.
Step 6: Arrange Documents for cargo clearance
Keep 10 copies of following documents handy for cargo clearance
- Death certificate
- Post-mortem copy
- Police NOC
- Embalming certificate
- Coffin certificate
- Photo and ID card ( Adhaar card/ driving license or any equivalent document)
- Contact details of the receiver in case of non-accompanied transport
Step 7: Book Mortuary ambulance to the airport
- Once you have all these certificates with you, now you need to take the human remains to the airport by mortuary ambulance. You can choose to book the nearest ambulance through VMEDO
- Now you might not need to book a freezer fitted mortuary vehicle as the body is inside coffin box and have undergone embalming service
Step 8: Book cargo ticket
- Not every air operator accepts Human remain on their cargos. Check for the air cargos accepting Human remains or the dead body in India. Call the air cargo department and enquire for the availability of the service and next available flight. Book cargo if they are taking online bookings, usually the majority of the air operators will not accept online booking for a dead body. You need to visit the cargo department physically and book.
- You need to report to the AWB section of Air cargo and produce all the documents at least 3 hours before departure time.
- Book for the Air cargo with or without accompaniment.
- In case of shipping without accompanying, you need to give contact details of the receiver
- In case of shipping with accompanying, you need to book an air ticket for the same flight.
The entire procedure takes a lot of time and patience to arrange documents in place. VMEDO can help you with an end to end transportation including all the documentation support. We allocate a local partner to help you throughout the process who knows the complete steps and have all required connection to get documentation on time from the concerned authorities. You can call VMEDO Helpline +91-9343180000 for more details and for service bookings.
How much does it cost to transport the dead body by air in India?
Price for domestic dead body transportation will be in the range of 25000 to 30000 INR. The cost basically depends on various factors, here are a few major factors which determine the cost for dead body transportation by air India
- Air cargo charges to transport the dead body by air: This depends on the weight of the coffin and the destination airport. Usually, for children below 10 years, 50kg is considered, for adults 100Kg is considered including coffin box. The cost for cargo again depends on the air cargo service provider. Typically the air cargo cost is in between 5000 to 10000 INR
- Coffin box and certificate cost in India: This depends upon the type of coffin that you are booking; you can choose to book a normal wooden coffin box or premium wooden coffin box. Usually, the cost for a coffin box will be between 3000 to 12000 INR, depending upon the type of coffin you need.
- Mortuary ambulance cost: This depends upon the kilometre of travelling from Hospital to the mortuary and from the mortuary to airport cargo section. Usually, it will be around 5000 INR for travelling up to 100 KM. More than that price may vary, depending upon the vehicle type and total distance.
- Embalming service charges in India: Majority of the govt hospitals does embalming service for free of charges, However, private Embalming centres might charge up to 5000 INR for Embalming services.
- Mortuary charges: Majority of govt hospital does not charge for Mortuary storage. However private hospitals and Private mortuary centres might charge up to 5000 INR for storage of dead body in Freezer
- Air ticket charges: If someone is accompanying the cargo then air ticket for the passengers need to be booked. It will purely depend upon the air operator and travelling distance. As you will be booking at the last moment generally it will be a little higher than the usual travelling cost.
These are the major cost factors, however, you might need to a little bit of money while getting required documents from the concerned authorities. If you are hiring a professional or an agent to assist you throughout the process his professional charges might apply
If you want professional assistance for transporting a dead body across India, Call VMEDO Helpline: 9343180000 and find out the best cost in the market. We have partnered with ambulance partners across India, and professional agents to assist you throughout the process and our 24*7 call centre team will help you with all the required documentation verification and discussion with local authorities whenever required.
How much time does it take to transport the dead body by flight in India?
Usually Human remains transportation by air will take an average of 1 to 2 days to reach the destination airport. The time of transportation depends on various factors. Here are a few factors which affect transportation time.
- How quickly you can get a death certificate from the doctor. Generally death inside the hospital, you will get death certificate issued quickly. However, if death is outside the hospital it might take a little more time.
- In case of unnatural death, the body needs to undergo Post mortem, it might take at least 5 hours to get post mortem done and get a certificate
- Availability of embalming centres is also an important factor. If there are no embalming centres nearby need to take to the nearest city to get it done
- Next available air cargo for the dead body. Few of the destinations will have limited flight availability; hence it might take more time in case of unavailability of flight or cargo services.
How to transport a dead body by air cargo from India to other countries?
This is also called as International dead body transportation or International dead body repatriation.
The international dead body transportation form India to other countries will have more or less the same procedure as domestic dead body transportation by air. However there are few additional procedures and documentation for the same, and also the cost and time for the same might vary a lot.
Read more about Dead body transportation form India to other countries
What are the documents required to transport the dead body by plane in India?
1. Death Certificate from the hospital.
2. NOC from the Local Police.
3. Embalming Certificate
4. Coffin Box certificate
5. Photo and ID card (Original Passport / Driving License/ Adhaar Card) issued by the respective Authority.
6. Contact details & address of the person who will receive the coffin at the destination.
7. No Objection certificate from the respective country’s consulate.
Note: All these documents should be in English with at least 6 photocopies of the same.
Each Document in detail:
If the person has died in a hospital, getting a death certificate is easy. But if the person has died at home or somewhere else other than a hospital, then you need to contact a nearby clinic or a nursing home. If the deceased has had a visiting doctor, even he can issue a death certificate.
If the death is sudden & natural, then you will need to provide the medical reports to the doctor mainly to show that it’s a natural death. Sometimes these things may become complicated.
No objection certificate (police clearance certificate):
After getting the death certificate you need to visit the nearby police station that comes under your jurisdiction and inform them about the need of police NOC (mainly to transport the dead body in a cargo flight).
They may ask several documents and questions related to death, mainly to confirm that death is natural and no crime is involved. They may visit the place of death if they find out that death is not natural.
After getting the police clearance certificate, the body is to be embalmed and packed in a coffin. Body Embalming is done mainly to avoid decomposition of the body by removing the body fluids and replacing them with chemicals. This is done in all the government hospitals and medical colleges.
Post-embalming, you can get the body to be washed and groomed according to your religious traditions. After all this, the body is packed and sealed in a coffin box. The coffin can be customized to your requirements. After the final inspection, the Coffin certificate is provided. Only then, it is possible to transport the dead body on a cargo plane.
Note: Always book the coffin as “Cargo”.
It is imperative for at least one to travel along with the cargo. So, it’s important to plan your flight bookings accordingly. Make sure that you have at least 8 hours in hand to finish all these formalities before boarding the flight. (Also, the airlines expect you to arrive at the airport 3 hours prior to departure. So, plan wisely)
Your ordeal doesn’t end here, as you’ll have to wait at the airport, because the cargo takes forever to reach you. This excruciating process comes to an end when you produce the receipt to collect the coffin.
Also Read: Medical Transportation in India
Feel free to comment if you need more information, or if we are missing any information. Also, share your personal experience which would help our readers.